Friday, February 4, 2011

Highs and Lows, Ups and Downs

I'm sitting on a therapeutic ball at my computer as I decide how to retell some of the happenings of the past week. The week has certainly had its highs and lows, so it's only fitting that I bounce up and down as I write. Really kind of fun. My posture is just right. The only problem with bouncing as I write - the monitor moves in the opposite direction of my trajectory. I may get motion sickness. Guess I could sit still, but that's always been hard for me.

Update on my son-in-law Ron: He did talk his way out of the hospital last Saturday, but without a solution to the pancreatitis episode. He isn't scheduled to see the doctor until the 11th of February, but told me today, he's feeling he may have to go back into the hospital before that. His stomach hurts all the time and he's hardly eating. He did however, find the time and energy with the help of a friend and my daughter Courtney, to lay new flooring for my photography studio and rehang my backdrops. The room looks super. Thank you, Ron! Courtney too! Ron is on my prayer list.

I had nana-duty last Friday through Monday evening taking care of Ben, Ron and Courtney's son. I'm sure I've mentioned before that Courtney is a registered nurse at Children's Hospital in Seattle. She works weekend nights and has to sleep during the day. Since Ron had just gotten out of the hospital, he wasn't ready for baby-duty.

Ben is such a joy, although he is letting the world know he's not crazy about getting teeth. For crying out loud (and he does), what's there to chew anyway?!! Okay - his mom has started him on vegetables - first peas, then squash, and he was slurping carrots when he was with me. And that's just the point, when you can drink your veggies through a straw, who needs teeth!

Ben was turned over to other trusted adults on Saturday and Sunday which gave me the chance to have lunch with two women friends I haven't seen together in a very long time. This was one of those get togethers where we should have been on oxygen. We all had so much to share with each other, that if one of us took a breath, another person jumped in to tell her tales. Ardith had just returned from a week long trip to Alaska, having brought home exotic things to eat. Janet and her husband are probably eating out (not exotically),  since their home is being completely remodeled. And I had to get in my stories of grandsons (brought pictures, of course), my business, plans for a trip to Hawaii in a couple weeks, my first wedding shoot in March... (Guess I held my breath and talked at the same time longer than the other two). The three of us cooked up a train trip and an overnight stay in Portland in April. Ardith tried her best to get us to stay a couple nights, but Jan and I opted for one. She has to work and I have a husband who complains about not seeing enough of me even when I'm in the same house.

Monday I received a call from my friend Teri Clark. I had taken pictures of her and her two granddaughters in December. She asked for pictures of her now seven month old granddaughter, Adrianna, who is in Mary Bridge Children's Hospital in Tacoma. Adrianna started having seizures early Sunday morning and was rushed to the hospital. When I talked to Teri, she was beside herself since "Nana" as she calls her, was having organ failure. The baby's parents are only 19 years old and she said they were hanging on by a thread. Teri had planned to order pictures, but hadn't gotten around to it; she just wanted one to hang on the foot of the baby's crib to show what she really looks like. With all the tubes and lying so still, she didn't look like herself at all.

I made up a photo album for Teri, who is the secretary at Adoption Ministry. I left it with Mark who works there and he delivered it as my gift to her and her family. Mark told me today that Teri broke down in tears when she got it. He also shared with me that the baby's liver and kidney stats are getting better. The doctors still don't know the cause, but told the family there are three other children in the hospital with the same symptoms. I know Teri's family has been on lots of prayer lists this week. Hearing that Adrianna is getting better is really worth a hearty, "Praise the Lord!"

Early this week, my sister Lore called to talk about our upcoming trip to Hawaii on the 16th of February to visit her son and daughter and their families. Lore's granddaughter Haile will celebrate her first birthday while we're there. We're heading to the big island of Hawaii and will stay on the Kona Coast near Kealakakua with Lore's daughter Nanette and husband John. Nanette has advised us to bring ear plugs and sleeping aids, since she has a rooster whose alarm misfires at ungodly hours. That should be interesting!

Lore also told me her other daughter Nicolette was diagnosed with breast cancer. She'll have a lumpectomy the day after we leave for Hawaii. She caught it early because of a scheduled mammogram and the prognosis is very good. Another person to add to the prayer list.

Oh yes, the therapeutic ball needs explaining. I had x-rays Monday indicating the disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrae took a hike. Remember at the beginning of this lengthy dissertation, I said I had a hard time sitting still. Well, all that movement over time has worn a few spots thin (some not as thin as I would like). But, it didn't keep me from taking more pictures of my grandsons yesterday. We have to capture the precious moments as they fly by.

The good news about my back is that I stated PT today to learn and relearn body mechanics. I'll be going twice a week for six weeks. Hawaii week excluded of course! I've let the therapist know, I have a lot more highs and lows, ups and downs to experience in my life, so if it means bouncing my way to better health - I'm on it! BonnieKingPhotography.com

No comments: