Sunday, January 2, 2011

2010

2010 - It was the best of years and the worst of years...two weddings, four births and a funeral. Tears flowed this year expressing both happiness and sorrow. 
The first of the year, we were still exhilarating over Kendall's marriage to Jon in December 2009. Then came Courtney and Ron presenting me with a Memories for My Grandchild journal which had me baffled at first until I woke up to the fact they were pregnant! And oh by the way - the wedding would be moved up to March so Courtney could fit into her wedding dress.

That meant a wedding shower at Kendall's, quick planning with the help of neighbor Janine and others for the March 13th event in Preston, Washington.

This was also the year when Scott's health improved to the point he was able to walk Courtney down the aisle. He had been through so much since I retired in July 2008. I hope that didn't have anything to do with the abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), the heart attack and subsequent congestive heart failure! Fortunately we had found a wonderful team of doctors with  privileges at Swedish Hospital in Seattle. You name the type of "ologist" and he probably has one as his health care provider. Four stints were inserted in his heart in April 2009 and a fifth in September 2010. But I jumped ahead...

My photography business really kicked off in the spring when I started taking photos in retirement communities. What a wonderful experience meeting and providing some joy for these precious people! In April, I completed my 10-week Master Gardener training class, got very busy volunteering at Master Gardener clinics and also volunteered to be the banquet coordinator for the Adoption Ministry fall fund raiser.

April also brought another surprise when Courtney, Kendall and I had lunch together one day. Courtney asked Kendall when she and Jon were planning to start a family. The look on Kendall's face told the story. She swore us to secrecy because Jon hadn't even told his family yet; they had just confirmed that she was pregnant too! We were overjoyed at the prospect of the two babies growing up together. Then it was time to plan not one, but two baby showers.

In August, we attended Scott's daughter Krista's baby shower, hosted by her sister, Summer. Everything was pink for the precious baby girl she carried. Krista was happy, healthy and ready to bring another life into the world to join her, Brian and 14-year old Brenevan. Scott celebrated his 66th birthday on the 25th while I snapped pictures of him and the flowers at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma.
Benjamin
September 17th, Benjamim Hilton Lee Evans was born. My first biological grandson. I was there for the blessed event, along with other family members. He came out announcing his presence, weighing 8 pounds, 8 ounces and 21 inches long. What a guy! September also found me starting the study of Isaiah along with 400 other women in  Bible Study Fellowship (BSF).

Krista, Margo & Summer
October 3rd was the worst day of our lives when Krista passed away from complications in child birth. Her daughter, Ariana, followed her three days later. The family experienced extreme grief which is only easing with the passage of time. I started a blogging class in October and one of my first posts was in honor of Krista. I still shake my head in disbelief when I see her picture.

In November, Courtney's husband Ron's daughter Marissa (Did you get all that? I don't know if commas would have helped or not!) had a baby boy in Montana. Ron, Courtney and Ben travelled to be with her and her significant other, Brandon. Aiden Edward Boswell was born on the 14th.
Micah
From October until the December 29th birth of Kendall and Jon's baby boy, the family was understandably apprehensive. Micah Jonathan Moen was born healthy and hungry into the loving arms of his dad - another 8 pound, 8 once boy measuring 22 inches long. Midwife Nancy Spencer provided support and the nurturing environment of her Lakeside Birthing Center for the wonderful event.

An amazing year from so many perspectives. Many blessings were bestowed while many questions were generated. What will 2011 bring? I pray for greater understanding of what happened in 2010 and look forward to the blessing of 2011. BonnieKingPhotography.com

No comments: