Thursday, November 11, 2010

Old Dog Bites Older Photog

I like animals. We have two: Calvin and Bella. Calvin is a pink Siamese cat and Bella is our lab/greyhound mix. Unfortunately, Kirby, our almost 20 year old poodle passed away in August 2010. Neighbors, Janine and Joel, have two dogs: Hank and Paco, who are like family too. But I learned the hard way, not all animals like me!


I was surprised and pleased at how many residents of the Senior Housing Assistance Group (SHAG) communities have small dogs. During a photo session at one of the apartments, I photographed three residents' pets. One of the women didn't want to be in the pictures with her dog, so I used Photoshop to remove her.
Leone's dog, 12 year old Rico, wasn't sure about being in a strange room with a strange person, bright lights and far too much going on. I made the mistake of trying to get him out from under the bench Leone was sitting on. She wasn't able to bend down and pick him up, so I assumed he wouldn't mind me doing it. That was not one of my brighter moves; I should have known better. The resulting bite to my left thumb which required Neosporin and a bandage were certainly not Rico's fault. He was just scared. The show did go on,  pictures were taken and I was the one apologizing to both Leone and Rico.

The life of a photographer who goes where the action is! See more pet photos under Collections: Pets at my photo web site, bonniekingphotography.com.

No comments: