Monday, December 29, 2014

One Thing Leads to Another

Dot fell off the back of my computer desk - ker plunk. I would have laughed at the kitten except that I was on the phone with a customer service rep who was trying to help me download an electronic gift certificate. The moment Dot hit all the cords behind my desk, my monitor died.

I asked the tech to hold on a minute while I fiddled with all the wires and cords, tried plugging and unplugging, but to no avail. She was very willing to just stay on the line with me (she was probably playing a game and grateful for some uninhibited time), but when several more minutes elapsed, I told her I'd have to call back.

And so one thing led to another. I'd been thinking of trading monitors with Scott who has a larger HP that he rarely uses. The dust was also building up on the monitor shelf and this is my week to try and reorganize my office, so... I unplugged the monitor, hauled it out to Scott's studio, unplugged his and hauled his back in to my office. But wouldn't you know, the male/female plug thingees from the monitors to the computers weren't compatible.

Never one to be deterred once I've made up my mind about something, I was off to Best Buy to find an adapter or two. What fun trying to explain my predicament to the salesman. I apologized for being so inarticulate: "You know, the blue receptacle with the holes that the cord screws into? Well it doesn't exist on one of the computers and the plug doesn't have screws, it just needs a slot on the other computer." He told me not to apologize, but he was probably thinking, "Not another one!"

$70 later and both monitors now have new homes. (I didn't mention the switch to Scott because I want to see how long before he notices. And no, I didn't try the monitor in his studio to see if it actually works. :-) But the monitor in my office works. Wow! It is really big and bright and unfortunately - a completely different resolution. I'll now have to calibrate the monitor color to match my printer and the photography lab I use. Argh...

The last time Dot tried to help by sitting in front of my monitor, she tipped over my coffee cup. That cost me the price of a new keyboard. The Best Buy guy also suggested I keep the cat out of my office. Brilliant suggestion, but not one a cat lover would ever consider.

I still haven't been able to download my gift certificate. so I'll call a customer rep back tomorrow. We'll see what adventures that will bring. www.BonnieKingPhotography.com

1 comment:

MacTravels said...

So Dot won't be a dot com anytime soon. OR, perhaps if you give Dot their own blog, they won't be so mischievous.
What an ordeal with a cat fall - hope you days get better.
Have an EPIC 2015 & keep on blogging!