Monday, October 13, 2014

Where have all the Blog Posts Gone?

My book of blog posts for this year will be a bit thin. With only ten posts this entire year, you would think I have nothing to write about. Not true. My life has been so full, something had to be placed on the back burner and unfortunately, it's been my blog.

The memoir writing classes I taught between January and May were exceptional. I've been privileged to meet interesting women with histories rich and varied. Although not just a class for women, it seems women are more interested in preserving their lives in memoir than men are - or at least that's been my experience in the last three years of teaching at the Puyallup Senior Center. One woman in particular is certainly worth mentioning. She turns on her writing instrument like a faucet and out flows remarkable stories of her past accompanied by words of wisdom and descriptions so sumptuous you can taste them. Jacquie is also an animal lover and because of that - we have a lot in common. We've also become friends.

Although my blog suffered this year, I did begin writing my own memoir in earnest, From Australia with Love. It didn't occur to me this might be seen as a take-off on the movie, From Russia with Love. It's not. Instead it's a story about young love, all facets of it, fraught with poor judgment and failed attempts to get it right. I made great progress between January and April and even joined a writers' group, the Wordsmiths. They've helped me revise and refocus, but even with their help, once photography season opened, progress ceased.

 I was off with camera in hand to shoot weddings, families, high school seniors and a few boudoir sessions. It is a passion that enables me to be in the moment, concentrating on each person, looking for a nuance that speaks to their personality and hopefully recording something memorable in the process. I must admit, I enjoy looking back at the photos I've taken because I can relive the memories we created together and I often marvel at what I was able to capture.

Photography also introduced me to the Metro Animal Shelter where I've taken photos almost weekly for two and a half years of pets that are up for adoption. Of course that's resulted in adoptions of my own. Dog Charlie and cat Tot now lead the life - not of Riley, but with Riley, a cat we already adopted from my daughter, Courtney and family. And becoming involved with the shelter led to the creation of a non-profit, FAYMAS - Friends At Your Metro Animal Shelter. Chris Lynch and I started the paperwork in the fall of 2013 and this summer were granted the non-profit status by the IRS. Now we're scrambling to set up the organization. We have a board of five - all incredible women: Roxanne Pollard is our secretary, Jennifer Waalkes our treasurer, and Trudi Bocott our public relations director.

My family does get some of my time, probably not as much as they should. Scott's health remains an issue, but his recording studio is making progress and should be back in operation soon thanks to his son, Steve, and his engineer, Jimmy. Courtney and Ron have experienced ups and downs with Ron's health again this year, but they always have time for Ben, who turned four years old in September. How did that happen! Kendall and her family are off on a new adventure, selling their home and moving to a new community, Tehaleh. Micah will be four years old soon and Gracie, sweet Gracie is a rambunctious 18 month old.

And so it goes... If my blog suffers, my life certainly hasn't. I continue to be blessed beyond words. www.BonnieKingPhotography.com

2 comments:

MacTravels said...

Enjoyed reading your updating post. Your writing class sounds interesting. Keep blogging!

Joan T. said...

Love the way you weave photographs into your blog!