Thursday, June 12, 2014

Saturday Morning Musings

            Morning’s translucent grey light beckons my eyes to open. I refuse.

            I should pull the blinds at night, but I’d still wake up. I always wake up at 7:30 anyway. And it’s just one more thing to do at night. I don’t want to get up. This is the first morning in a long time I haven’t had to be somewhere. No clients today, just playing catch up.

            Tot hops on my chest, puts his wet nose against mine and tickles me with his whiskers. I pull the covers up and roll over, but he’s persistent. With his rough little tongue, he licks my cheek and chin. I cover my face with my hand because I know he’ll sneeze any minute.

            He hasn’t been sneezing as much lately. Maybe he’s finally getting over the virus the vet says he has. I can’t believe he’s eight months old already. One of these days, he’ll actually grow into his huge bushy tail.

            Tot sneezes the minute I uncover my face. Nothing like tiny wet droplets of kitten snot in the morning to get my attention. I wipe my face, grab and cuddle him anyway, petting his silky soft Tabby fur. I look into his eyes with their Egyptian eyeliner trailing from each corner. His eyes are wide open, mine just barely. What a character he his! Half the size of the dog, Charlie, and our other cat, Riley, he loves stalking each of them, pouncing on their tails. It makes them barking, hissy-fit mad.

            I don’t want to get up. Charlie’s probably crossing his back legs wanting to get out of the utility room, he needs feeding, Scott will want his coffee and breakfast, and I need to get a lot of paperwork done today. Wonder if my brother wrote back this morning? It’s been a long time since I heard from him and when he does email me, it’s usually with something he’s forwarding like the Veteran’s Day remembrance he sent last night. His email to me was so brief, just about his medical challenges and not much about Bert. Maybe I overwhelmed him with my recount of family happenings when I responded to his initial email. I only gave him a few facts, not the real stuff of life. It’s easy for me to say Scott’s side of the family has all the drama, but maybe that’s my way of not getting into detail about what’s really going on.

            Courtney’s husband, Ron, is in Adak, Alaska working on a two month construction project. His son, Ryan, who has been living with them is supposed to go join the crew of four. He quit his job in Tacoma and is waiting for the company owner to let him know what day he’s supposed to fly out. He’s never flown before and Courtney’s worried about how he’ll do, not only on the flight, but on the job. Courtney also worries about Ron pacing himself so he doesn’t get hurt. There’s no good medical care in Adak and his complicated medical history doesn’t help calm her nerves. If anything major happened, he would have to be flown to Anchorage. She threatened him with what a helicopter ride might cost. Do you suppose that will keep him healthy? In the meantime, Courtney is arranging care for three-year old Ben while she works weekend nights at Children’s Hospital in Seattle as a supervising nurse. Courtney is truly a care giver. How many times have I said, “Courtney, don’t forget to take care of yourself.”

            Courtney’s daughter, twenty-one year old Karina, was here with her adoption mom, Laura, this week. They stayed with Courtney for three nights. We all had dinner together on Wednesday and I had a chance to visit with them again Thursday afternoon. I hadn’t seen Laura since we met at Good Samaritan Hospital when Karina was born.

            That was hard for me – those days and the ones that followed. I wanted Courtney to keep Karina, but she was eighteen and it was her decision. I know it was hard for her too, but the decision was about Karina.

            After spending time with Laura this week, I know where Karina gets her critical thinking skills and her wonderfully sassy attitude. Intelligent and outspoken, Laura is very involved in politics in Ketchikan, Alaska. Although they couldn’t be more opposite in political beliefs, Laura and Scott had a very spirited, civil discussion Wednesday evening with each respecting the other’s views, if not agreeing with them. Courtney was holding her breath when that discussion began. So was I. Guess we both tend to avoid confrontation.   

            Kendall is my researcher, gatherer of all possible data before-making-a-decision, daughter. I love her for it. Will she or won’t she go back to teaching science in a junior high in Puyallup next fall? She’s applied for other very different positions in two school districts, started a business of her own, is taking care of two children under the age of three and a half, working online at night for a university critiquing student teachers, and still has time to give sound advice and share feelings about what matters to her with her friends on Facebook. When Jon leaves on trips for Boeing, the responsibilities escalate for a couple weeks at a time. Kendall becomes a single parent. Regardless of all that, every decision she finally makes (but may change based on better data) takes into consideration the welfare of her children, Micah and Grace.

            Was I ever that thoughtful when it came to making decisions as a young parent? I don’t think so. I’ve learned so much from Kendall – and not just about nutrition.

            My seventy-nine year old sister Lore was here Wednesday evening also. I really admire her. Quick witted, with a ready laugh and a kind heart, she’s certainly had her challenges. In the last three years, she had breast cancer, fell and broke her ribs while in the hospital and then, had to postpone gall bladder surgery because of it. Now cancer free and also free of her gall bladder, she flew to Hawaii in February for her granddaughter, Hailey’s, fourth birthday. While her children and three grandsons are doing well, two of her other grown granddaughters have caused a lot of heartache. One is in California. Lore gave her a home for over a year and encouraged a new beginning, only to have her use one of Lore’s credit cards without permission. She ran up a huge bill that wasn’t discovered until after she had moved out. The other has served thirteen years of a twenty-six year prison sentence for burglary and assault. Lore just bought her a system to convert printed text to braille, so she can become a certified transcriber or braillist while in prison. It will earn her a small income and provide her with marketable skills when she’s released.

            I’m so blessed to have the daughters I do. I remember Lore consoling her daughter when they came to a choral performance at Pacific Lutheran University in which Kendall was performing. The contrast in life journeys between Lore’s granddaughters and my daughters was heart wrenching for them.

            Lore called me Thursday to thank me for inviting her to the family gathering Wednesday evening. She’s so appreciative. I need to visit her more often. She mentioned on the phone that Scott looked worse than when she saw him last. I was sitting with Scott at the time of the phone call and with a breezy response, told her we were together and that he has his challenges. She got the message. He is getting worse. That’s what happens when you smoke for 57 years.

            Scott’s pulmonologist told us he has the lungs of a four year old trying to support a 250 pound man. In spite of that, Scott told me he’s really enjoyed the last month. He did a couple presentations at the senior center about writing his book and he had a loving in-person conversation with son Devon, who he hasn’t seen in three and a half years. Being a part of the writing class I taught gave him an ego boost. He was surrounded by women his age who gave him positive feedback on his writing. He was in heaven!

            Since it’s tough for Scott to get out, I’m inviting interesting people we’ve met to have dinner with us. Bring the fun to him, if he can’t get out to find it for himself.

            Thank heavens for Kendall’s crockpot recipes. I really don’t like cooking. With more than two guests, it seems you work and work and then people eat it and then you have to clean up and wonder why you haven’t had a decent conversation with anyone. I’m going to keep it simple with the two-at-a-time guest plan and hope the conversations, in which I hope to participate, make up for my cooking.

            And there’s always Scott’s studio to think about. Three years since he’s recorded anyone in it and maybe I’m being stubborn, but I refuse to help him with it. He has other people who can help and it’s his project, not mine. For twenty years, I’ve been carrying equipment up and down stairs for him. If I have to carry one more piece upstairs, only to have to carry it downstairs a month later, I’ll scream or stomp on his oxygen tubing or refuse to bring him coffee in the morning or do something equally heinous.

            Tot is sleeping on me with one paw on my face and his tail curled around my neck like a fur collar. I should get up. I have to pee, my lower back hurts and my hips are stiff. Is this what old age is about – aches and pains in the morning. Oh well, once I get going, they’ll go away – usually do. I may have to take some Ibuprophen. I still have to let Charlie out, brew a new pot, fix my oatmeal, take my vitamins, get Scott’s coffee and breakfast, make sure he takes his pills, start a load of washing, get some paperwork done and I really want to get out in the yard…

            I roll over to look at the clock. 10:23 am. How did that happen!

1 comment:

Joan T. said...

Your calm and accepting approach to life comes through. Very inspiring. And, I love the animal anecdotes woven in. Makes for a cozy read!