Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Birthday Musings and Melted Ice Cream

Random thoughts on this, my 69th birthday...

According to my husband, Scott, I've just entered my 70th year. Thanks a lot! I've been getting along just fine not thinking about my chronology. In fact, I often wonder at my daughters getting older, while I'm too busy to worry about age. It's just a number. And the more numbers I accumulate, the less I worry about aging. There is freedom in not worrying, but I also appreciate that aging has its benefits - providing  but the convenience of excuses when needed.

I do have occasional forgetfulness. The fact that I found the ice cream carton in the microwave yesterday morning where I had put it the night before instead of in the freezer, might be an indicator or short term memory loss. I prefer to believe I have so much on my mind, there isn't room for thoughts about proper ice cream storage. (My new favorite is Safeway's Premium Salted French Caramel. Even though it had melted and refroze, I ate it again last night anyway! I've always been a risk taker).

My 69 years have been good ones. And I have so much to be thankful for: a husband, Scott, who loves me dearly and makes me laugh, two beautiful daughters who are happily married, three terrific grandchildren who make me smile every time I see their faces, wonderful stepchildren and their children, friends who are also like daughters - Shelly and Janine, and other friends and acquaintances who bring me joy, wisdom and laughter.

I've found the most important motivator in my life is having something positive to look forward to. I am so blessed to be able to volunteer for local charities, belong to wonderful women's groups, take photographs and create memories for others, and to be able to teach memoir writing and enjoy the privilege of hearing others' stories. I'm also still learning more about myself, as I write a memoir of my young adult years in New York and Australia. (As you can see, I still haven't learned how not to write run-on sentences :-)).

According to a test I took one time, If I quit drinking coffee, I can expect to live to 94 years old. So far I haven't been able to give up the coffee, but I am looking ahead to what God has in store for my next few decades. It's been quite a ride so far and I'm ready for whatever adventures lie ahead - even if they include melted ice cream.



2 comments:

MacTravels said...

Just read your post - 69 is still in the 60's and you are not in the 70's yet!! Sorry, Scott!
Moderation - who wants to be 94 is you haven't gotten there with a bit of hot coffee in the morning. I think you are living life just right!

Joan T. said...

Hey, wait a minute. I thought coffee was GOOD for you! That, and chocolate, right?! Your attitude of gratitude comes through clear as a bell and will, no doubt, give you a long and healthy life. And, BTW, 69 is YOUNG!