Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013: Twelve Weddings & a Funeral

Twelve weddings and a funeral... Not the name of a movie, but events of the past year.

January began with a wonderful blessing. Granddaughter Grace Ella was born to Jon and Kendall. What a sweetheart who's perky personality shows itself more every day, particularly when she’s crawling after Micah to explore whatever he’s doing. This surprisingly patient three year old also spent more time with me this year, while mom took Grace to Stroller Strides to get back into shape (not Grace – Kendall!). We had great fun since Micah gets such a kick out of using his flashlight to hunt for our cat, Riley, under my bed or helping me take Charlie out back to make the poops. I’m such a creative baby sitter. 


Speaking of Charlie, our malti-poo. I finally succumbed to adopting a pet from the Metro Animal Services Shelter where I volunteer to take photos for their website on a regular basis. Charlie grabbed my heartstrings from the get go. Our ten-year old adoptee came to us with a ravenous appetite, medical issues and the mental capacity of a newborn, perhaps less. But he is a lover – of a particular stuffed monkey and a green sausage-shaped squeaky toy. His one saving grace: he tolerates the cats (we now have two – Metro Animal Shelter struck again!) and loves to lay with me on the couch when I’m watching TV. That’s enough to keep him in my good graces.

January through April found me at the Puyallup Senior Center on Friday afternoons teaching Memoir Writing. In my case, since I haven’t had time to write mine (I still have every good intention), I’m teaching it. Isn’t that the way the saying goes, “If you can’t do it, you teach it.”

In the spring, long time neighbors, Dick and Betty, moved from next door to a retirement community on South Hill. But the good news is that our new neighbors were meant to have their home. Jim and Trish and family are a real blessing. They love animals, cross fence conversation and getting to know all their neighbors. Since our “neighborhood” consists of very few houses (three close together and a couple across the street and around the corner), having people nearby who are neighborly couldn't be better.

Springtime was also time for a great road trip to Lake Chelan with my friends Janine and Susan. If you want to walk off a few pounds, go visit J9 in Manson. She’ll show you how it’s done walking her dog, Hank, (now dogs, since they adopted a new pup, Kate) two to three miles a day. Of course, we balanced the exercise with lots of good food and winery visits. 

My 50th class reunion in June found Scott and me in Pasco, Washington visiting with classmates. The way Scott fits right in had some thinking he must have graduated with us too. He managed to lead our table group in karaoke singing and encouraged others to get up and give it a go too! It was wonderful to spend a little time with my younger brother Jim (who is now a senior citizen – how the heck did that happen!) and his wife, Cindy.

Chris Lynch, one of the volunteers at the shelter, and I also started work on creating a Friends At Your Metro Animal Shelter (FAYMAS) non-profit. The paperwork is all filed; we’re incorporated with the State of Washington and just waiting for our IRS tax-exempt status to be determined. Stay tuned in 2014 for more information about how the organization plans to help animals at the shelter.

The two women’s organizations to which I belong also kept me busy. I was elected Treasurer of my P.E.O group which raises money for women’s education. Women in Transition (WIT) which a couple of us started three years ago, is still meeting once a month on Friday’s for breakfast at Charlie’s Restaurant in downtown Puyallup. This is a fun, informal group meeting to share life’s adventures and figure out how we can support each other in a positive way. No dues, no obligations – just show up.

Grandson Ben turned three in September; his dad, Ron, gave us all a scare in the fall with his medical issues, step-grandson Ryan moved in with Courtney and Ron. Step-granddaughter Marissa and her baby, Aiden, were here for a few weeks and granddaughter, Karina, spent ten days with us before and during Christmas. She had also been with us in August and we’re looking forward to seeing her again in May!

Earlier I mentioned two cats… Yes, I succumbed again after fostering a sick kitten, and Tot (named by Scott) is now a member of our family too. He pesters Riley to no end, the Siamese we inherited from Ron and Courtney, and provides endless laughs with his antics. He would have been great friends with Bella, who enjoyed playing with him too, but unfortunately the one funeral I mentioned was Bella’s, our beloved lab/greyhound dog. Her 11 years finally got the best of her and we lost her just after Thanksgiving.

I also mentioned 12 weddings, the number of wedding gigs I had this year. I did have help from good friend Shelly Luthi, but it was quite the adventure. At last count, I had 104 clients this year, including the wedding shoots. And I ended the year by taking photos of someone with a last name starting with “Z.” Isn’t that fitting :-)

Last, but not least… The biggest highlight of all was being able to give Scott his published book, The Last Apocalypse, a manuscript he wrote almost thirty years ago. With the help of friends and family: Jacqueline Martens, John Budz and Vee Sawyer, and Michael Hutton, we were able to pull it off without him knowing about it ahead of time. It was a great Christmas Eve surprise. 

Needless to say, it was a busy and blessed year. I’m eager to see what 2014 brings and certainly give thanks for what we have and pray for continued blessings for my family and yours.

No comments: