Monday, May 9, 2011

Janelle Meraz Hooper

I'm reading Bears in the Hibiscus, which is just one of five (soon to be six) great reads from author Janelle Meraz Hooper. She gave me an autographed copy of this light, humorous romance last Saturday.

I met Janelle through Mary Beth, a mutual friend, who let me know that Janelle needed a new photo for her upcoming book, Boogie, Boots, and Cherry Pie. How could I pass up an assignment like this! Janelle was truly engaging and personable on the phone, and even more so in person.

Last Thursday, I packed up my equipment and drove to her home, only a hop, skip, and a jump from where I live in Puyallup. Janelle had worried about the condition of her home, since her main passion is writing, not housekeeping. Good grief! If my home was as orderly as hers, it wouldn't mean that I have a husband who collects things, a dog who brings things in, and a yellow cat who sheds all the time. And I'm in the business of turning our upstairs into a romper room for infant grandsons. I loved the openness of her home which mirrors Janelle's personality. After the photo shoot, we spent probably another hour just chatting, eating cheese and crackers, and drinking - cranberry juice. (I did have to drive home).

We took photos on her back deck with the backdrop of a grand old cherry tree, and another with a true Northwest backdrop - evergreen trees.  I couldn't help but shoot a few in her office, the place where all the creative juices flow. But my favorites are those we set up in her living room - her glamour shots! Her husband commented, when I brought her the DVD of all her photos, they were the best pictures she'd ever had taken. Thanks, Dick!

Janelle is a self-published award winning writer; her favorite genre is women's fiction. You can find sample chapters and stories from all her books on her own website, http://www.janellemerazhooper.com/. Janelle's books are available on Amazon and more recently downloadable to Kindle. You can also see more pictures of Janelle on my website, BonnieKingPhotography.com

No comments: