Thursday, December 16, 2010

Tis the Season...

Tis the season... but for some it's not so merry and bright.

I sat with a friend at dinner last night who is an intelligent, attractive, talented and devoted Christian. Her walk has been a testimony to me and her faith seemingly unshakable. Yet, she was in extreme emotional pain because of what is happening in her most important adult relationship. Other relationships in her life have changed this year as well, not in the direction she was expecting. While her head knowledge tells her this is all happening for reasons beyond her understanding and that it may lead toward a greater purpose, her heart is breaking in the moment.

I could only listen and share my similar experience. I managed words of comfort and hope, but I also shared that the situation will probably get worse before it gets better. I shared that the healing process will take time, but in the meantime, she has to keep moving ahead, putting one foot in front of the other, looking for guidance both in this world and in higher places. 

Did I help? I don't know. I did tell her she could call me any time day or night. She asked what I would do if the phone rang at 2 am. I said I would answer it. In the last couple years, I've had a lot of practice being awakened in the middle of the night by someone needing help. So far, I've been able to respond.

She is not the only one for whom this season is difficult. We have family members who are struggling when it comes to making good decisions, not to mention the struggle of making ends meet. And they are not alone. There are many others I don't personally know. Bad things do happen to good people.

Is there a bright side, an eventual up side away from the pain? I believe so. I'm not a Pollyanna, but believing in a greater purpose, praying for guidance, and putting one foot in front of the other will at least move us toward the light.
www.BonnieKingPhotography.com

No comments: