Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lightening McQueen!

Lightening McQueen! Lightening McQueen! This will only mean something to you if you have children or grandchildren who love the animated movie, Cars.

I recently agreed to babysit my grandchildren Micah and Gracie, so their mom and dad could enjoy a date night. When I arrived, Jon informed me about how excited Micah was all day knowing he would be watching one of his favorite movies with Nana B.

Mom and dad left a little after 5 pm and everything went smoothly. Micah and I put puzzles together while Gracie kibitzed from her high chair. A dinner of gluten-free pizza for Micah and me with home made enfant food for Gracie was a winner. Hot air popcorn is always a hit, so Micah and I made sure we would have plenty for the 7 pm movie.

The movie began and I was in the process of feeding Gracie her bottle when - the lights went out. This was something that happens every once in awhile in their neighborhood, but not something we had planned for. I put Gracie on the floor while a very confused Micah started asking, "Where's Lightening McQueen?" While he was wondering about the whereabouts of an animated car, I was wondering about the whereabouts of a match.

All my family members have a junk drawer and sure enough, that's where I found the matches. I lit candles and it was very cozy, but that's not what Micah was looking for. He started flipping light switches in hopes that would bring back Lightening McQueen. He also helped me check out the junk drawer for batteries, since I did locate one flashlight that didn't flash. But alas, we only found some door hinges that Micah mistook for batteries. He was trying though!

About that time, Kendall called - as she always does - to check on the home front. I told her everything would be great if we could find a flashlight that worked. She directed me to their emergency bin in the pantry which did have two flashlights, one of which didn't work. I told her not to worry, that everything would be fine - with the exception of Micah's disappointment about the movie and that they didn't need to come home, since they had been heading to a movie of their own.

I got the kids ready for bed by flashlight and put Gracie in her crib with Micah still flipping light switches. I did my best to explain the situation and he settled for me reading him a book by flashlight. I also told him I was pretty sure he would get to watch Cars the next day.

It was no surprise to me when Jon and Kendall came home about 8:30, bringing with them flashlights, batteries and letting me know how much money they'd saved by not going to the movie. We visited for awhile and I headed home.

Kendall told me the next day that the lights had come on about 3:00 am and because of Micah's efforts to make that happen by flipping light switches, a number of rooms lit up at that hour, including Gracie's room. She woke up and let her presence be known, so Jon and Kendall were up again also.

Micah's room was still dark, but if he had awakened you can bet his first words would have been, "Lightening McQueen!"

No comments: