Friday, November 4, 2011

Family

I taught my second Introduction to Memoir Writing class today at the Puyallup Senior Center. I'll be teaching two more introductory classes: one on Friday, November 18th and the last on Friday, December 2nd, before I launch an 8-week Writing Memoir class (two hours a week) in January and February. Amidst all the teaching, I'm hoping to practice what I preach and find time to continue writing my own memoir!

Between the two classes I've taught so far, there have been 13 students, from whom I've learned a great deal. All have stories to tell and are exploring whether they want to leave those stories for others to enjoy, learn from, or marvel at. I've been privileged to hear bits and pieces of personal history including first impressions coming to the U.S. from another country, stories of childhood special moments, and stories of adversity that no one should have to endure. Stories made us smile, but at least one - brought the writer and some listeners to tears in the re-telling.

Most of what was shared were stories about family. How could they not be? Whether it's nature or nurture, our life story is because of, or in spite of, family influence. Family influence might be the immediate family, the extended family, or a community family.

From the classes I taught to the photos I took this past month, the word which kept coming to mind was "family." Perhaps what made this even more poignant, was the fact that October was the one-year anniversary of stepdaughter Krista's passing. She died of an amniotic fluid embolism which occurred during the birth of her daughter, Ariana. Ariana passed three days later. (I wrote more in my 10/31/2010 blog).

Whether it was taking photos of the Luthi family, the Barager family, or my own sweet grandsons, Ben and Micah, "family" was not only on my mind, but in front of my lens providing beautiful evidence of the word. 

I'm a very fortunate person; I am who I am because of family, not in spite of them. My husband, Scott, and I have family and extended family of whom we're very proud and hold dear to our hearts. We may not tell them enough  - because they are - family.


No comments: